Sunday, March 15, 2009

STENSON EXPECTING STRIP TEASE

STENSON EXPECTING STRIP TEASE


Henrik Stenson caused a storm at Doral today when he stripped down to his underwear to play his way out of trouble during the opening round of the WGC-CA Championship.

Stenson hit a wild drive at the third hole, the 12th of his round, on the Blue Monster course, landing on mud in a water hazard.

With seven holes still to complete and the world number seven believing he had a good enough lie to hit out, the Swede opted to shed his clothes and play.

He got the ball out and carded a bogey five on the way to an opening round of 69, four strokes behind the clubhouse lead.

"Because of the mud I couldn't really afford to play in any of my clothes as they would have been a real mess down the last six or so holes so I had no option," Stenson said after his round.

"I was only wearing two things when I hit the shot, my jocks and my golf glove - that is the only thing that will appear in the picture aside from the golf club - just the way God created me.

"Shirt, trousers, socks, shoes, hat, the lot was off."

Stenson certainly saw the funny side but also said his decision paid dividends.

"I just remembered I didn't have my rain gear so I didn't have any choice," he said. "I felt like I was definitely going to save a shot by actually playing the ball so that was the only decision I had to make.

"If you are saving a shot, that has to be worth taking your shirt and trousers.

"I'm sure I'll hear a few comments and once the pictures get out, I'll hear a few more no doubt. I'll probably take that to my grave with me.

"I don't think I scared too many spectators off the course, hopefully."

Stenson also believes he might have opened up a new avenue for sponsorships following his impromptu strip.

"Absolutely, you never know, after this I might have a new endorsement with PlayGirl or something like that."


Defensive end Antonio Smith, Houston Texans agree to 5-year, $35 million deal
STENSON HOSTS NEW SWEDISH EVENT
TIGER READY FOR PHYSICAL CHALLENGE
Offensive tackle Willie Colon signs tender, will return to Pittsburgh