Monday, March 23, 2009

NORMAN 'SHOCKED' BY AUGUSTA CHANGES

NORMAN SHOCKED BY AUGUSTA CHANGES


Greg Norman has been back to Augusta in preparation for his first Masters for seven years - and was stunned by what he found.

The 54-year-old Australian, who qualified for a return with his spectacular third-place finish in last year's Open, said: "Since I last played it they've added about 420 yards and I was absolutely shocked to tell you the truth.

"There are phenomenal changes right from the very first hole. The tee now is back where the old putting green was, so the thought of driving it over the bunker on the first hole is gone.

"I had a 176 yards into the green on Wednesday and back in the other days it was 120 yards.

"Seventh hole, dramatic change. Eleventh hole, dramatic change. It's going to be a lot harder to play for someone who doesn't hit the ball 320 than a player who does hit the ball a long way.

"A lot of the guys have told me that Zach Johnson never went for a par five in two and won The Masters, so it goes to show you can do it, but if the weather conditions stayed the same as what I just played last Wednesday it bodes well for the longer hitters.

"I was just surprised to what they did to some of the great short holes. I can understand the par fives, but for example the seventh hole was one of the great classic risk-reward short holes.

"I used to try to drive the golf ball way up in front of the green and pitch it up and that's gone now. And same with 14 - I remember trying to whip a driver around there and get as close to the green with a sand wedge as I could. You can't do that stuff now.

"I loved the challenges in the old days of the short holes of Augusta. They can either bite you in the rear end or not.

"I remember if somebody came into the back nine at Augusta probably six or seven or eight shots behind the lead and feel like they could win it.

"That was a great feeling. I think it's going to be a lot more difficult now for those type of low numbers."

As for how he might fare Norman added: "Not having played in the tournament for seven years I just want to make sure that everybody manages their expectations and I manage my expectations.

"There's a lot of interest involved in my return and I think that's wonderful, but at the same time I'm going to be going into this tournament just trying to enjoy myself and have fun.

"I think it's going to be harder (than The Open) to tell you the truth. I'm getting a lot of people saying they are flying over from Australia to see me play.

"Or every time I go to the golf club in Florida or Tennessee people saying that they are going to come down and watch me play. I'm just like 'just show up and watch golf, don't come down to watch me play'.

"Time will tell, but that having been said I'm practising more, I'm working out more, I'm making the effort to try to put my best foot forward and that was not the case at the British Open."


OGILVY EASES TO SECOND SUCCESS
TIGER READY FOR PHYSICAL CHALLENGE
Terrell Owens misses start of Buffalo Bills’ voluntary conditioning program
Cedric Benson reaches two-year deal with Cincinnati Bengals