Wednesday, March 25, 2009

HARRINGTON SEARCHING FOR TOP FORM

HARRINGTON SEARCHING FOR TOP FORM


Padraig Harrington admits he still has "a few issues" to resolve in his game as he attempts to avoid burning himself out this season.

The demands on Harrington's time have gone through the roof since he successfully defended the Open at Birkdale last July - the first European to do so since 1906 - and three weeks later lifted the USPGA Championship for good measure.

The Dubliner can therefore become only the third player in history, after Ben Hogan and Tiger Woods, to win three majors in succession at next month's US Masters, but is wary of playing too much as he has been guilty of in the past.

"Ideally, if I were to be absolutely competitive and sharp, I'd probably have played 15 events by this stage, and that's not going to happen because I'll be worn out and burnt out by the PGA in August," Harrington said ahead of this week's Arnold Palmer invitational at Bay Hill.

"I'll have played seven or eight events going into the Masters, which I hope is enough. Maybe if I had played three or four more, it would be better, but I know I can't do that.

"I'm hoping to be ready for the Masters, but I'm also hoping not to burn myself out by the end of the PGA.

"There are a lot of balls in the air that have to be juggled to make sure you perform throughout the year and not just make short-term sacrifices that could cost you later."

Harrington was beaten by Pat Perez in the first round of the WGC Accenture Match Play last month and finished joint 20th the following week at Doral.

"I've been home for the last week doing a little bit of practice," Harrington added.

"Doral the week before was exactly what I needed in terms of going out on the golf course and seeing where my game was at and working on a few things on the course.

"I still have a few issues - I definitely drove the ball poorly in Doral - but last week was a very positive week going forward."

Harrington's time at home coincided with Ireland's rugby team winning their first Grand Slam since 1948, and the 37-year-old is grateful to be out of the spotlight for once.

The emergence of Northern Ireland's Rory McIlroy and the return to action of Tiger Woods has also helped in that regard, and Harrington admitted: "It's been a big bonus.

"Tiger is back, Phil (Mickelson) has been great, which has obviously taken huge amounts of the media attention in the US, and Rory McIlroy coming on the scene has taken a good bit of the attention at home, so it's all the better for me.

"That makes me better able to manage my own time and cope with what I'm doing.

"The attention is less when other things are happening. That's all good in terms of my preparation and lets me get back to sort of normality in how I prepare."


IMMELMAN: TIGER WILL REWRITE HISTORY
YANG THE BIG MOVER IN RANKINGS
Detroit Lions’ Corey Smith, Oakland Raiders’ Marquis Cooper among missing boaters
Washington Redskins release defensive end Jason Taylor