Thursday, March 26, 2009

BENNETT DEBUT IN NEW ROLE

BENNETT DEBUT IN NEW ROLE


A former European Tour winner starts a new career this week - as a European Tour caddie.

Less than two months after taking the hard decision to resign from the Tour as a player because of a hand injury suffered in a road accident, England's Warren Bennett is back at the Andalucian Open in Seville.

The 37-year-old - who earned nearly Ј800,000 and won the 1999 Scottish PGA title at Gleneagles against a field which included Trevor Immelman - Ian Poulter, Justin Rose and David Howell, is working for Austrian Bernd Wiesberger the next two weeks.

From May onwards, he switches to the women's circuit alongside Solheim Cup player Trish Johnson.

"It's hard and it's going to take a while to get used to it, but I've got to move on," he said.

"Even last week, I played twice and could manage only six holes. The acceptance of my new situation will come - in fact it 90% has already.

"I look around and everybody is living the dream of playing on Tour, but I can't look back now. What I'm doing now is better than what I was trying to do until I took the decision to quit."

He is not the first to make such a switch. American Lance Ten Broeck played nearly 350 US Tour events before becoming caddie to Robert Allenby and Jesper Parnevik.

Bennett was tipped as a possible future major champion by Sir Michael Bonallack when he beat Tiger Woods in his amateur days, but then had a series of injuries and two years ago needed finger surgery after a car knocked him off his bike in west London.

The day after resigning his Tour membership, he stated: "I've been like a fighter who's against the ropes.

"I've tried to come out punching, but there just comes a point.

"I would love to keep going - but every time I play it's so painful.

"I can't keep floating like a cloud. It's sad and frustrating, because I really feel I can do something - and this should be the prime of my career. But that's not the hand I've been given unfortunately."


STENSON HOSTS NEW SWEDISH EVENT
Source: Free-agent cornerback Corey Ivy to join Cleveland Browns
MONTY SET FOR LANDMARK APPEARANCE