Sunday, March 1, 2009

RAMSAY ON RIGHT TRACK

RAMSAY ON RIGHT TRACK


Scotland's Richie Ramsay believes his form could be on the upswing after a difficult start to life on the European Tour.

Ramsay enjoyed a highly successful season on the Challenge Tour last year, winning two events and graduating to the main tour by finishing eighth on the Order of Merit.

However, the former world amateur number one has found it much tougher so far this season, missing five cuts in his first six events in the Race to Dubai.

But things appear to be looking up for the 25-year-old from Aberdeen after making the cut at the Johnnie Walker Classic in Perth and firing a four-under-par 68 today at the Enjoy Jakarta Indonesia Open to grab a share of second place.

"Last week I settled on a fresh approach and decided to commit more to my shots," Ramsay explained.

"Beforehand, I was thinking too much about the outcome before I'd hit the shot. I spoke to my coach and also did some drills on the range, which gave me some confidence to take into this week.

"I'm believing in myself much more now."

Ramsay has been taking on board plenty of advice from coach Ian Rye, despite being half a world away.

"He recently sent me a video taken from the Alfred Dunhill Championship and suggested a few adjustments, which I've made," the 2006 US Amateur Open champion said.

"He told me to have more belief in myself, because I wouldn't be where I am if I wasn't a good player.

"He also gave me a few motivational quotes to read and I've taken them on board and knuckled down.

"It wasn't easy out there at times, but it didn't faze me. My concentration was good all day, which is why I didn't drop any shots."

Ramsay has had to make other adjustments to cope with the drastic change in climate from chilly Aberdeen to the balmy tropics.

"I'm not used to the heat and the humidity and it's something I struggled with a little in Malaysia," he added.

"I was struggling to grip my clubs because I was sweating so much, but I made sure this week that my hands were completely dry before I got set up.

"The guys back home and my sponsors have shown great faith in me even though I haven't been playing that well, so I want to try to repay that if I can."


Tampa Bay Buccaneers Jeff Jagodzinski talks about Boston College Eagles
Ravens create cap space, cut corner McAlister
QUE PUTTS HIS WAY INTO BALI LEAD