Friday, August 1, 2008

OCHOA SIGHTS ON LIFE AFTER GOLF

OCHOA SIGHTS ON LIFE AFTER GOLF

Lorena Ochoa defends her Ricoh Women's British Open title at Sunningdale this week with the stated aim of staying as women's world number one for the next "five to six years" and then retiring.

In the week that Sweden's Annika Sorenstam plays the last major of her glittering career before starting a new chapter in her life, Mexico's sporting superstar laid down her plan to quit golf at a far earlier age.

Sorenstam is 37, while Ochoa, who replaced her at the top of the rankings last year and with two majors now to her name has opened up a huge lead, is still only 26.

"I want to be number one as long as I play," she said. "Life is too short. There are many things I want to do outside of golf.

"This is already my sixth year (as a professional), so should be good - 10-12 years and then move on."

First priority, though, is to emulate Padraig Harrington by retaining the British Open.

Ochoa said: "I want to do it and for sure I think it would be a great story."

A four-stroke victory at St Andrews last August removed any lingering doubts about Ochoa's ability to reign supreme.

Until then she had always come up short in the majors, but having captured the final one of last season she also took the first one of this season in California in April.

While there has been a dip in form since, she is still the clear favourite for this week. That is hardly a surprise, given she has claimed 20 wins - only four fewer than Tiger Woods - since the start of 2006.

She is as short as 5/2 in some betting markets, with Sorenstam and American Paula Creamer next best at 12/1 or even longer.

A sure sign that Ochoa has made a good start in her opening round - she tees off at 7.14am, one group ahead of Sorenstam - will be if she seen tucking into a big pudding at lunch.

"Probably one of my weaknesses is eating. I love my desserts," she commented.

"I like to treat myself and when I play good I have a good dessert.

"It depends tomorrow. If I have six under I can have a dessert, one under maybe if it is windy. But (if I am) even par with four holes to go, I tell my caddie, 'Two birdies and I get dessert'.

"So every day it changes, but that's my motivation."

Sunningdale has staged the event on three previous occasions and two of those - 1997 and 2004 - has produced a record 19-under-par total.

Australian Karrie Webb did it the first time and four years ago it was Britain's Karen Stupples after an amazing eagle-albatross start to her closing round of 64.

The 35-year-old Dover is now one of only British players in the world's top 50. Scotland's Catriona Matthew is the other, while there are an amazing 25 Koreans in the top 70.


“New life and real determination”
OCHOA THE ONE TO BEAT
Taylor returning to Miami, in no rush to rejoin Fins