Thursday, July 24, 2008

OCHOA THE ONE TO BEAT

OCHOA THE ONE TO BEAT

England's Laura Davies and Swede Annika Sorenstam both begin the chase for a third Evian Masters tomorrow, but it is world number one Lorena Ochoa who starts favourite in a Ј1.7million tournament that matches the US Women's Open as the richest in the women's game.

Davies won in 1995 and 1996 - before the tournament came under the umbrella of the LPGA Tour - and a third win would take her to within one victory of a place in the LPGA Hall of Fame.

"I love this course and have done well many times here," said Davies, who was tied second two years ago.

"It's always lovely to be back. My form has been quite good this year - I just need some more putts to fall."

Sorenstam, the 2000 and 2002 champion, has already announced that she is to retire at the end of the year. And the 37-year-old admitted: "I will miss this tournament for sure.

"I've seen the tournament grow from just being just a regular stop on the European Tour into becoming one of the best tournaments on the LPGA.

"But I haven't retired yet and I want another good week," added the season's three-time winner.

"I have another five months to play, and about 10 tournaments or so. My goal is to end the year as the number one player on the LPGA Tour. I've got a chance."

The player most likely to stop her is Ochoa, who took over from Sorenstam as world number one 15 months ago and has already won six times this season. But she has not played since she failed to mount a challenge at last month's US Women's Open.

"I've been working now a lot on my game, recharging the batteries," explained the Mexican, who defends the Ricoh Women's British Open at Sunningdale next week.

"I always intended to take a break and be ready for the second part of the year."

American Natalie Gulbis - who beat Jeong Jang in a play-off last year - defends the title but has not had a particularly impressive start to the year.


MORGAN SEEKING FIRST TOUR WIN
HAPPY RETURN FOR PETTERSEN
Spain B beat Greece
Bielefeld beat Bayer