Saturday, July 19, 2008

ROSE GROWS OUT OF TEEN DREAM

ROSE GROWS OUT OF TEEN DREAM

Ten years on from his amazing fourth-place finish in the Open Championship as a teenager, Justin Rose feels it is time to forget the good old days and get his "game face" on.

Rose was just 17 years old when he holed out from around 50 yards on the final hole at Royal Birkdale to finish a shot behind Tiger Woods and just two off the play-off eventually won by Mark O'Meara.

With the Open returning to Birkdale a decade later, Rose has been inundated with media requests and asked to recall his memories of that amazing week, even going so far as to recreate that famous shot - hitting the pin with his fifth attempt back in May.

The 27-year-old has obliged willingly and believes he should now concentrate on the serious business of attempting to win a first major after finishing in the top 12 in all four in 2007 and leading the Masters after the first round for the third time in his career this April.

"To be honest, I think I'm past it," Rose said when asked if he was still re-living the experience of 1998.

"I feel the goodwill from everyone who knows the situation from 10 years ago but, at the same time, a lot has changed since then and I feel today was pretty much a normal practice round.

"This 18th hole is special, it's a great setting with the clubhouse in the background and any Open Championship, the way it's framed with the grandstands, is great.

"But, in a sense, it's time to get the game face on and do what I need to do this week. I always feel like I've played well when it really matters, although it's going to be a different kind of week for me.

"I'm going into it feeling like the game is there or thereabouts and just hopefully a little bit of spark or something and we'll be off and running."

Rose missed the cut in the US Open and was only 38th in the European Open a fortnight ago, and admits he would love to recapture the carefree attitude he had as an amateur 10 years ago.

"Pressure is very much self-inflicted," added Rose, who topped the Order of Merit last year after victory in the season-ending Volvo Masters.

"There is more of course because you feel like you actually have a genuine chance, whereas as an amateur you have nothing to lose. That's where the pressure comes from.

"If I could create a little bit of the approach I had back then, that sort of attitude, that's probably the right sort of combination.

"I'm happy with where I am in the game right now: top 10 in the world, European number one. I would have dreamed of winning a major but I don't think I ever timelined it.

"I feel like I'm coming into my prime the next 10 years. The first 10 years has given me a great opportunity to achieve what I want out of the game."

A Ryder Cup debut is one thing on the agenda and Rose looked a certainty after his victory at Valderrama, but he now finds himself in danger of being overtaken by Scottish Open winner Graeme McDowell in the world points list.

"It's a tough battle this year, the guys are all playing well so you can't be complacent," Rose added.

"My goal is to get into the Ryder Cup playing well, not just squeak into the team. I want to be a valuable team member and win some points.

"My schedule has been set all year. I always thought my best way was getting in through the world points list so I'll continue to focus on that, but my next three events are all European events as well, two majors and the WGC Bridgestone Invitational.

"A big week there puts me right up on the money side too."


ROSE READY FOR BIRKDALE RETURN
One last clean sheet for Kahn
Messi has Italian dream