Sunday, July 20, 2008

McDOWELL EXCITED BY "MASSIVE STEP"

McDOWELL EXCITED BY "MASSIVE STEP"

Graeme McDowell will finally consent to being measured for his Ryder Cup uniform after the biggest win of his career at the Barclays Scottish Open.

McDowell carded a final round 68 at Loch Lomond to finish 13 under par, two shots ahead of South African James Kingston, with Australia's Richard Green and Spain's Miguel Angel Jimenez a shot further back in third.

As a result the Northern Irishman climbs to second in the Order of Merit, behind Jimenez, and inside the top 30 in the world rankings.

But most importantly, the Ј500,000 first prize lifted the 28-year-old from Portrush from 10th to sixth in the Ryder Cup standings and only an extraordinary series of results can now deny him a place in Nick Faldo's side to defend the trophy at Valhalla in September.

"I put the Ryder Cup up there with winning majors," said McDowell, winner of the Ballantine's Championship in Korea earlier in the season. "It's something I have really, really desperately wanted.

"I refused to be measured for my Ryder Cup clothes last week but maybe I will accept next time. It's never over until it's over of course but this is a massive step in the right direction. It will be a dream come true."

McDowell and England's Simon Khan began the day tied for the lead and were still locked together at the turn on 12 under par.

Khan then moved two shots clear after a birdie on the 11th followed McDowell's bogey on the 10th, but that lasted just one hole when the 36-year-old from Essex ran up a double bogey six on the 12th, needing two attempts to chip up a steep slope onto the putting surface after his approach came up short of the green.

McDowell then took command with a hat-trick of birdies from the 13th and when Khan bogeyed the 15th, he had a three-shot cushion.

"This is just unbelievable," McDowell added. "It really was a tough weekend's golf with such a stacked field. It's a massive relief. It's one of the toughest finishes in European golf and I don't think I've ever shaken as much as I was coming down the stretch.

"I've never had a two-shot lead coming down the last hole and I much prefer it to the the stress and drama I normally put my mum (Marian) and dad (Kenny) through and it's great to have them here.

"My dad first put a club in my hand aged seven and he's been with me for 20 years, through thick and thin. He just retired last Friday. This is my retirement present to him. He's an emotional man and I'm sure there'll be a few tears tonight."

World number two Phil Mickelson could only manage a closing round of 73 to finish well off the pace on two under par while Ernie Els, twice a winner here, was joint ninth after a 69.


RYDER BOOST FOR McDOWELL
Juve step up Amauri interest
Hargreaves: Destiny In Our Hands
HANSEN OUSTS McDOWELL