Sunday, July 20, 2008

KAYMER EYES HELP FROM ABOVE

KAYMER EYES HELP FROM ABOVE

Martin Kaymer believes "someone special" will be looking down on him during this week's Open Championship.

The German withdrew from last week's Barclays Scottish Open following the death of his mother from cancer the previous weekend, just a fortnight after his emotional victory in the BMW International Open in Munich.

The 23-year-old dedicated his win to his then seriously ill mother, saying: "This was for you," upon beating Anders Hansen in a play-off after letting slip a six-shot lead.

And speaking at Royal Birkdale on Monday, the 2007 European Tour Rookie of the Year added: "It's been a sad time for our family but everyone has been wonderful. I definitely know there will be someone special looking down on me this week.

"This is such a great tournament and I didn't want to miss it and I know my mother would not want me to miss it either.

"This is my first Open and I am really looking forward to it. I was here in 2005 for the British Amateur championship but it's going to be a whole lot different this week."

Kaymer has been paired with former champion Ernie Els and American Scott Verplank in the opening two rounds, teeing off on Thursday at 8:31am.


Jose eyes Lamps capture
GUTSY KAYMER IN CUP CONTENTION
DOUGHERTY MOURNING MOTHER