Tuesday, May 20, 2008

ROSE READY FOR BIRKDALE RETURN

ROSE READY FOR BIRKDALE RETURN

Justin Rose has already begun preparations for what he admits will be a poignant return to Royal Birkdale for the Open Championship later this year.

The 27-year-old, winner of last year's European Tour Order of Merit, burst onto the international scene when the Open was last held at the Southport course a decade ago.

Then an unknown amateur, Rose muscled his way onto the leaderboard and his chip on the last hole earned a tie for fourth place.

His performance hastened a decision to turn professional and Rose is now looking forward to going back having established himself as one of the world's leading players.

Rose is currently back in England for the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth this week having concentrated on America during the first half of the year.

"I went up to Royal Birkdale last week and got a few practice rounds in for the British Open," Rose said.

"Birkdale is going to be a special week - a lot of good memories, obviously.

"It is going to be really exciting, it will mark 10 years as a pro, which is obviously significant for me.

"It also gives me the opportunity to be really fired up for the next 10 years as well.

"It is nice to go back to Birkdale 10 years on as someone who has won the European Tour Order of Merit and kind of just shown a little bit of the potential that was expected of me at the time.

"For a while expectations got the better of me but I think going back to Birkdale as the European number one, and having got into the top 10 in the world, I feel comfortable because I feel I have achieved a lot in the game.

"If I had gone back there really struggling for my form I would not have been that excited about the prospect of reliving the good and the bad.

"But I feel on top of my game, or certainly getting there, and it is nice to be going back."

Rose was speaking at London's O2 Arena where, as part of the promotion for the BMW PGA Championship, he had been hitting balls off the roof with Simply Red singer Mick Hucknall.

The Wentworth event also offers an opportunity for more Ryder Cup points, although Rose is already well on course for a European debut against the USA at Valhalla in September.

Rose said: "I have had a good start to qualification but I think the key for me is to not try to focus on just getting in the team.

"I feel if I do make the team I want to go into the Ryder Cup playing well. It is not just matter of getting in the team and relax.

"Once you make the team you have got to go there and you have got to play well, you have got a job to do.

"My thought is on playing well so if I do make the team I am going to be an asset."


Werder midfielder in line for return
Jose could return to England
ROYAL BIRKDALE TO TEST TACTICS
ROSE HOME, LOOKING FOR KICK-START