Wednesday, May 14, 2008

DALY PONDERS EUROPEAN SWITCH

DALY PONDERS EUROPEAN SWITCH

Former Open champion John Daly could be joining the European Tour next season.

Without a full card for the American circuit after a slump to 609th in the world rankings, Daly has been in Europe the last two weeks and, following his early exit from the Spanish Open, he finished a respectable 23rd after a closing 67 at the Italian Open on Sunday.

The 42-year-old, who played both events on a sponsor's invitation, hopes to be back this side of the Atlantic for the Wales Open at the end of the month.

He says he is also interested in playing in the Scottish Open in July, the week before The Open at Birkdale on the course where he took a 10 on the 18th hole in 1998.

When asked about Tour membership for 2009 he replied: "I would not rule that out. We'll see what happens.

"So many of our courses in the States you can't hit driver, but you can do it more here. It makes it fun, for the fans and for me.

"I've started to get my swing back. This was only my third tournament since rib surgery and today was the best I've driven it in a while.

"I wish I was going to Ireland next week, but the charity event I've got in Arkansas means a lot to me."

On moving through the field with his six birdies on Sunday Daly added:

"It's nice to make some more money - I need to pay the exes."

He was referring not to expenses, but his former wives. He has been involved in four divorce proceedings.


Palermo reject Gunners link
Little Sam To Become Rafa’s Right-Hand Man
CLARKE AND DALY SET FOR SEVILLE