Friday, May 30, 2008

DINWIDDIE SEES FLAG MIX-UP AS OMEN

DINWIDDIE SEES FLAG MIX-UP AS OMEN

England's Robert Dinwiddie did not realise until Friday that against his name in the European Tour media guide flies a Welsh flag.

The 25-year-old from Durham is taking it as a lucky omen. After a second round 65 he is challenging for a first Tour title in the Wales Open at Celtic Manor.

Dinwiddie is the player - born in Scotland actually - who at Wentworth last week followed a first round 78 with a course record 63 and then finished with two 79s.

"I normally like to think of myself as being fairly consistent," said the Tour rookie.

"But this year has been fairly up and down. I think I'm just finding my feet to be honest.

"Even though the scores wouldn't have said so, I actually came here feeling pretty good about my swing."

There was no question what was Dinwiddie's shot of the day, a 270-yard three wood over the water to six feet for a closing eagle three.

"I didn't actually hit that good a drive and I was debating whether or not I was going to go for it.

"But placing the ball (preferred lies have been in operation on the sodden fairways) you can get a perfect lie and although it was on a slight down slope I knew when I hit it that it was going to be close."

The former Walker Cup player, who graduated through last season's Challenge Tour after failing to make it at the 2006 qualifying school, has already had a third place finish in China and a sixth in Spain.


Houshmandzadeh sees ‘problem’ if Chad not dealt
CLARKE: CHINA IN MY HANDS