Monday, May 26, 2008

CONSOLATION FOR WILSON

CONSOLATION FOR WILSON

Oliver Wilson reflected on yet another near miss, and then discovered he had at least won something - a place in next month's US Open.

The 27-year-old from Mansfield recorded his seventh runners-up finish on the European Tour when he lost to Miguel Angel Jimenez at the second hole of a play-off for the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth.

There was a difference of almost Ј200,000 between coming first and second, but a cheque for nearly Ј400,000 was still enough to take Wilson from 11th to second on the money list and into the field for Torrey Pines.

The former Walker Cup player, with three play-off losses against his name now, missed a seven-foot putt to win on the first extra hole.

He also missed birdie putts from a similar line on the 72nd hole from 15 feet and at the second hole of sudden death from 12 and added to the criticisms of the greens during the week when he commented: "They've all done something different.

"I was 100% confident I would make the putt. I've not been that confident over a putt ever. I cannot believe that I missed it. I thought it was my time.

"It hurts a little bit. I had that chance. I played great all week and I gave myself a chance, so I'm a little disappointed.

"But it won't be long. I wanted to compete in this tournament, which is the biggest one we play in apart from the majors, and that's sort of the next progression."

Jimenez, who has had eight of his 15 Tour wins since he turned 40, said: "It's great, fantastic.

"Mentally I am very nice. At my age you just relax, enjoy yourself and that's the most important thing."

He is now third in the Ryder Cup standings, and added: "I think (captain) Nick Faldo will be pleased. I am very calm, very experienced and one thing is guaranteed - I am going to give it 120%."

Wilson has also earned himself a spot in the Open in July by climbing into the world's top 50, while the three places on offer from the Order of Merit have been taken by England's Richard Finch and Ireland's Graeme McDowell and Damien McGrane.


Away win for Bochum
JIMENEZ FOCUS TURNS TO RYDER CUP
PLAYERS GLORY FOR GARCIA