Friday, May 30, 2008

WIE HAPPY WITH OPENING ROUND

WIE HAPPY WITH OPENING ROUND

Michelle Wie shot a four-under 68 in the first round of the German women's Open at Golfpark Gut Hausern in Munich.

The 18-year old American finished four strokes behind the early leader Nina Reis of Sweden. Britain's Lora Fairclough shot 66 with compatriot Natalie Booth on 67.

Wie birdied three of her first five holes but failed to take advantage on the par fives. She birdied the par-four 17th coming in.

"I would take another three-under-par on the first five holes any day," said Wie, who added that she feels she has lost some of her length since hurting her wrist last year.

"I'm still in the rehab process just really building up to what I had before. It's definitely on the right track.

"I felt like I played really well but I felt like I left a couple out there as well, especially on the par fives.

"I think overall I'm pretty happy with how I played. I played consistently. It just has to get better each and every day."

The event is the first on the women's European Tour to be held in Germany in seven years.


Happy Ramos flattered
PETTERSEN EQUALS COURSE RECORD