Friday, August 8, 2008

CASEY LOOKS TO THE CUP

CASEY LOOKS TO THE CUP

Paul Casey hopes his strong finish at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational on Sunday night will kickstart his Ryder Cup hopes.

The Englishman posted the lowest round of the final day, a five-under-par 65 that earned him a tie for eighth place at six under at the Firestone Country Club in Akron, Ohio.

His cheque for Ј81,740 will move him closer on the European points list to an automatic place on Nick Faldo's team for next month's matches at Valhalla in Kentucky.

"I'm well out of the points," Casey said.

"There are many good players outside of qualification right now and I'm below those guys.

"This week is a good start, but I really need to throw in a couple of top fives or a win or something like that to get myself on that team."

Casey's bid will continue this week at the USPGA Championship at Oakland Hills, near Detroit, where he made his Ryder Cup debut in Europe's resounding victory over the United States in 2004.

It is the final major of the year and a tournament with a lot of points at stake for automatic qualification.

Casey said: "It is an important run, but I've got to take it one round at a time, one shot at a time.

"The ultimate goal is to try and win next week. I mean, the majors are still the ultimate thing, but I'd love to be part of that Ryder Cup team.

"Right now those are probably the greatest memories I've ever had while being on a golf course, and I'd like to be part of another team, and I've got some playing to do for that team before we get there."


FISHER STUMBLES LATE ON
CASEY INVITES SINGH TO WATCH HIM TRAIN
Serie A Round-Up