Wednesday, August 20, 2008

MONTY KEEN TO PROVE HIS WORTH

Colin Montgomerie is insisting his desire to play in the Ryder Cup is "greater than ever".

The 45-year-old Scot's decision not to play in Sweden this week or Holland next week has ruled him out of automatic qualification.

His only way to a ninth cap now - and the chance to break Nick Faldo's points record - is as a wild-card pick from none other than Faldo.

Europe's captain names his two selections after the Johnnie Walker Championship at Gleneagles on August 28-31, an event where Montgomerie is tournament chairman.

On his own website, the eight-time European number one said his time off following last week's missed cut at the US PGA was to "reacquaint" himself with his family, having played 11 of the past 13 events to attempt to make sure of a Ryder Cup spot.

Montgomerie wrote: "I decided to take these two weeks off from tournament golf as, with automatic qualification now out of the question, I thought it very important to put in some serious practice time so I am ready to perform to the best of my ability should I come into the reckoning for a captain's selection.

"My desire to play in the Ryder Cup is greater than ever - as I have shown in the past and in my schedule which has been geared towards qualifying - but I want now to work on my game to compete as well as I can in Scotland and to have my game to a standard that would allow me, hopefully, to perform at a level to help the team (if I am part of it) to the requisite 14 and a half points.

"After these few days with my wife and family I am ready to get down to some serious hard work at Gleneagles, which is no more than 10 minutes from home, so some long hours can easily be put in.

"Hopefully, the crowds will inspire me to a great week. It will be a really strong tournament with so many European players in the field battling to improve their positions on the European Ryder Cup rankings in the final qualifying event.

"I think the spectators are in for a great week - weather permitting!"

Among those also needing a wild card as things stand are Open runner-up Ian Poulter, Paul Casey and Darren Clarke.


Maldini set for one more year
FALDO WILL CONSULT RYDER CUP STARS
CASEY LOOKS TO THE CUP