Tuesday, August 19, 2008

LAIRD'S GREENSBORO ROLLERCOASTER

LAIRD'S GREENSBORO ROLLERCOASTER

Martin Laird has had an eventful Wyndham Championship, enjoying a share of the first round lead, making the cut with nothing to spare after a dreadful second round, and bouncing back with a sizzling 64.

And as if his rollercoaster week has not been enough on its own, there also was a two-stroke penalty at the final hole of the second round.

That was because Laird moved his ball marker out of the line of a fellow competitor's putt, but forgot to replace it before putting himself.

"Just a mental error," Laird said at Sedgefield.

"I completely spaced out on my mark, which is my fault. I've never done it before and I'll probably never do it again, but it was just one of those things."

Laird said he had been pre-occupied with the line of his putt, after watching fellow competitor YE Yang putt first on the same line.

"Yang putted over my mark," he added.

"I thought (his putt) would break a lot and it didn't break. That's what I was thinking 'it doesn't break as much as it looks, don't play as much to the left as I first thought'."

Fortunately for Laird, he realised the mistake before signing his card. Otherwise he would have been disqualified, assuming he had later remembered it and confessed, of course.

Laird, a PGA Tour rookie from Scotland, who moved to the United States to play college golf at Colorado State at the age of 18, shrugged off the mental error to vault into a tie for 19th after the third round.

However, he was out of contention, a distant 10 strokes behind leader Carl Pettersson.


MONSTER PUTT SEALS TITLE FOR SCOTT
Rollercoaster ride with happy ending
Petric made his mark