Wednesday, August 27, 2008

PARNEVIK BACKS MONTY BID

European Ryder Cup hero Jesper Parnevik is backing fellow veteran Colin Montgomerie's bid for one of Nick Faldo's two captain's picks at Valhalla next month.

Montgomerie has played in the last eight Ryder Cups, becoming a talisman for the Europeans in the biennial match play showdown against the United States, with only Faldo and Bernhard Langer having amassed more than the Scot's tally of 23.5 points.

The 45-year-old has hit a slump in form this year, however, with only three top-10 finishes, the most recent coming with a second place at the French Open on June 29.

Montgomerie has not broken 70 in his last 11 competitive rounds with his most recent outing resulting in an 84 at the US PGA Championship as he missed the cut at Oakland Hills.

Parnevik, 43, played with Montgomerie on three Ryder Cups, the Swede helping Europe beat the United States in 1997 at Valderrama and in 2002 at The Belfry while being on the losing side at Brookline in 1999.

Parnevik, this week playing The Barclays tournament on the PGA Tour in New Jersey, said he understood the reasons for Faldo not to pick Montgomerie next Sunday but the Scot had that special something when it came to Ryder Cups.

"I have no idea who the picks are going to be because it's not easy for Faldo with Monty not playing so great the last couple of months.

"He was a given pick before that. But some guys thrive in the Ryder Cup and some guys don't and sometimes it's better to give it to a guy who might not be playing that great but you pretty much know he's going to play well in a Ryder Cup.

"When that adrenaline gets going and the heart is pumping and all that, you can play better than you have all year all of a sudden.

"The Ryder Cup is such a motivator and it's so much fun and I think I would have Monty there."

Parnevik spoke of the importance of balancing out the team in terms of experience and said he was delighted that Sergio Garcia had offered to help Faldo by playing with one of Europe's debutants at Valhalla.

The Swede was paired with a rookie Garcia at Brookline in 1999 and they thrived as a team, collecting 3.5 points out of a possible four.

"I kind of took him under my wing the first year in Boston," Parnevik recalled. We even flew up together two days earlier than the rest of the team to get some practice together.

"I did it myself because I knew how hard it was from the first time I played.

"I mean, I don't even remember my tee shot the first time I played so it was important.

"I knew he was a good player so all he needed to do was get comfortable in the situation. I knew if he got that he would thrive."


Sagna Sets Sights On The Title
Bochum acquire two players
FALDO WILL CONSULT RYDER CUP STARS
GALLACHER EXPECTS MONTY TO FIGURE