Wednesday, February 4, 2009

TRIO BOOK OPEN PLACE

TRIO BOOK OPEN PLACE


Marc Cayeux, Jeremy Kavanagh and Jaco Ahlers all booked themselves a first appearance at a major after finishing in the top three of International Final Qualifying for the Open in Durban.

Cayeux, a dual English and Zimbabwean national, finished the second of two qualification rounds with a two-under-par 68, a combined two-round total of 137 to finish a shot clear of joint overnight leader Kavanagh, also from England, and South African Jaco Ahlers, who carded a superb 65 to complete the top three, all of whom will now play at Turnberry in July.

Brazil's Adilson Da Silva, who was the other first day leader, struggled through his second round at the Royal Durban Country Club with his three-over 73 leaving him tied for seventh on 140, a shot behind Doug McGuigan, Tyrone Ferreira and Christiaan Basson.

Lancaster-born Cayeux was solid through his round and despite two bogeys he managed four birdies, two of which came in the last three holes.

"I feel pretty honoured to be playing in the Open, and at the age of 31 I feel I've done well, so I'm happy," he said.

"I want to play well, soak up the atmosphere and enjoy the experience."

Kavanagh struggled in the second round, failing to match his opening-day 67, but in the end just managed to sneak through with a combined total of 138.

He said: "I feel a bit shocked and the feeling has not sunk in yet, but I've got mixed emotions and don't know whether to laugh or cry. I'm really looking forward to playing in the Open."

Pretoria golfer Ahlers was most impressive in his second round, recording a faultless card that included five birdies as he stormed into a top-three finish.

"I can't wait to go to Turnberry and I don't have a clue what to expect, but I'm excited to play on a British links course," said the 26-year-old.

After the retirement of Brandon Pieters on Tuesday, there were plenty more withdrawals on Wednesday with Jaco van Zyl, Mark Murless and Trevor Fisher Jnr all pulling out.


Tomlin’s update: Big Ben ‘fine;’ Hines ‘great’
POULTER TARGETS MAJOR PRIZE
Panthers owner Richardson has heart transplant