Monday, February 23, 2009

LEE: I WANT TO BE THE NEXT TIGER

LEE: I WANT TO BE THE NEXT TIGER


New Zealand amateur Danny Lee served notice to the golfing world of his outstanding talent at the Johnnie Walker Classic on Sunday, before boldly stating his ambitious goal of outstripping the achievements of Tiger Woods.

Lee made history with his one-stroke victory at The Vines Resort and Country Club, becoming the youngest ever winner of a European Tour event at 18 years and 213 days, eclipsing the record of South African Dale Hayes at the 1971 Spanish Open.

The teenager birdied the 18th to finish on 17 under, one shot ahead of England's Ross McGowan, Japan's Hiroyuki Fujita and Chile's Felipe Aguilar.

In doing so, he also became only the second amateur to win on the European Tour, but soon made it clear he was aiming for even loftier golfing targets.

Asked what he wanted to become known as, the precocious Lee said: "The next Tiger Woods maybe.

"I can't compare to him because he's one of the greatest players in the world and he's the number one-ranked player in the world.

"All I want to do is just break what he's done. Obviously I can't win three US Amateurs in a row but I'll try to break his records on the PGA Tour.

"I always looked up to Tiger Woods when I was really young. He's still my idol."

Born in South Korea, Lee moved to New Zealand with his family at the age of eight, developing the golfing abilities which helped him to become the youngest winner of the US Amateur title last August.

It earned him a score of invitations to professional events in Asia and Australia, including the one which brought him to Perth, where he showed the poise of a veteran to come from behind with four birdies in the final six holes.

But while he showed nerves of steel to take the title, Lee appeared far more nervous when facing the media afterwards.

"My English is not 100 per cent and I get really nervous when I'm doing the media stuff. It doesn't mean I hate it, because I like it," said the youngster.

"It still feels like I'm in dreamland. Hopefully no-one wakes me up.

"I was dreaming about winning but my goal was to make the cut after two rounds and to try to get into the top 20 or top 10. I played extremely well the last few days and here I am.

"Winning a European Tour event, it's pretty amazing what I've done."

A bright future now beckons for Lee, who will be able to take up membership on the European Tour and join the Race to Dubai within 14 days of turning professional.

That is likely to happen after he appears at the US Masters in April, although he has a busy schedule between now and then.

"I'm planning on playing in the Moonah Classic next week and two events in New Zealand before going to the States and playing in the Arnold Palmer Invitational (Bay Hill) and the Georgia Cup (a 36-hole showdown between the US and British Amateur champions), the Masters and then turn pro," he added.


BOMBS AWAY FOR LEE