Thursday, February 12, 2009

TRIO SECURE OPEN BERTHS

TRIO SECURE OPEN BERTHS


New Zealander Josh Geary and Australians Tim Wood and Michael Wright grabbed the three places in the Open on offer at the international qualifier in Melbourne on Tuesday.

The event at Kingston Heath went ahead despite the close promixity of the bushfires which are now feared to have killed more than 200 people.

Geary and Wood tied for first place with four-under-par totals of 140, while Wright's birdie on the penultimate green took him to three under and knocked out Peter Senior and Cameron Percy.

Wright is ranked a lowly 1,056th in the world and has made only one halfway cut in his last six starts, while Geary and Wood are ranked 625th and 839th respectively.

Craig Parry, who led the 1999 Open at Carnoustie with seven holes to play and missed the play-off there by just one shot, missed out by eight shots.

Wood, whose bizarre pre-shot routine has been likened to a wounded seagull said: "I feel like I am going to wake up and say 'Damn, that was a great dream - I qualified for The Open'."

For the Australian Open in December, the 27-year-old adopted a Jonny Wilkinson-type pose; he then dipped his toe to the ground and waved his arms like a conductor.

"You've just got to laugh about it," he said, after finishing 11th there.

"I've just got poor posture. I get into bad habits with my posture. I hate it, but it's working.

"I tried to hit the shots without doing the routine and in the first round I hit two shanks in the front nine. My caddie goes 'You've got to go back to the seagull'."


TRIO BOOK OPEN PLACE
Study: Late ex-NFL player had brain condition
Steelers, Harrison jump into contract talks