Tuesday, February 3, 2009

MONTY WILL SEEK FERGUSON ADVICE

MONTY WILL SEEK FERGUSON ADVICE


New Ryder Cup captain Colin Montgomerie has admitted he may follow Sam Torrance's lead by seeking leadership advice from Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

Torrance skippered Europe to victory in the tournament in 2002 after canvassing leading figures from other sports - including fellow Scot Ferguson - and it is an approach Montgomerie plans to consider ahead of next year's match at Celtic Manor.

Speaking to Radio Five Live's Sportsweek programme, he said: "I have the greatest respect for the captaincy of Sam Torrance in 2002.

"He rightly learned from another great Scot in Sir Alex Ferguson and I might be doing the same thing myself.

"Why not use the knowledge of others? I want to learn and best I can.

"I want to walk away, regardless of the result, having given exactly 100%."

Montgomerie, 45, has already confirmed he will not consider playing in the match and has now added that his name will not even appear on the Ryder Cup points list.

"I will not be competing in 2010. I am captain of that team, my points of qualification will be nullified, simple as that.

"I will remain on other lists but the Ryder Cup one. I don't want to be in an embarrassing position because of nearly making the team. I won't be in that position because my points simply won't count."


CASEY BACKS MONTY CAPTAINCY
CLARKE: MONTY IDEAL FOR CUP CAPTAINCY