Tuesday, February 10, 2009

HULL OF A WIN FOR KATHERINE

HULL OF A WIN FOR KATHERINE


Rising Australian star Katherine Hull claimed a five-stroke victory at the ANZ Ladies Masters at Royal Pines in Australia on Sunday.

Hull, who began the final round with a three-stroke lead over compatriot Tamie Durdin, shot a 68 to record a winning total of 16-under-par 272.

The 26-year-old had earlier fired rounds of 69, 67 and 68 to become the third Australian to win the tournament.

"If anyone would have said to me that I would shoot four rounds in the 60s I would have been absolutely ecstatic," said Hull.

"I dreamt about this as a kid. It hasn't quite sunk in yet. There are so many great names on the trophy, and you walk past the framed pictures of the winners and you wish you had your picture up there.

"Now I'm going to be up there - so I'm just 'stoked'. I couldn't have written the story any better this week."

Durdin, who shot a final-round 70, had to settle for a share of second place with So Yeon Ryu - the promising young Korean closing with a 66.

"For me it was a win. I did not crumble. I was disappointed to make bogey up the last," said Durdin.

"Considering how she played, I could not really ask for much more."

Last year's European number one Gwladys Nocera (67) finished in a tie for fourth with Australian Sarah Kemp (68), American Mollie Fankhauser (70) and world number two Yani Tseng (66).


STENSON EYEING HOME WIN
PAST WINNERS COME GOOD
QB of the future? Buccaneers re-sign McCown