Thursday, January 29, 2009

STENSON EYEING HOME WIN

STENSON EYEING HOME WIN


Former champion Henrik Stenson is hoping home advantage will play a key role as he bids get his Dubai Desert Classic title challenge off to a flying start today.

The 32-year-old Dubai resident practises at the Emirates Golf Club and plays an extra 10 rounds a year around the championship course.

And with five of the world's top 12 assembled this year, the 2007 champion is ready to make his advantage count after finishing inside the top eight in each of the last three years.

"It's one of my favourite courses. This is where I practise and play at the moment. I get a good few rounds in with some friends," said the world number seven.

"With it being my home course, and one where I have won before, I have good memories, and you know where to be and not to be on all the holes. That gives you a relaxed feeling.

"I really enjoy playing this course because you never get fed up playing it and it's always a tough test.

"I've played the tournament since 2001 so I've had quite a number of rounds on it during tournament play as well and every year you add something to your experience bank and it should get easier and easier."

After enduring a confidence-draining missed cut in Abu Dhabi, Stenson's game - which saw him finish in the top 10 nine times last year - returned in Qatar last week as he finished second behind Spain's Alvaro Quiros.

He fired himself into a tie for the lead midway through the final round but was unable to match the explosive Quiros down the stretch and was forced to settle for second place.

"I didn't play well in Abu Dhabi, but I had some good practice time in between and I got back stronger and played quite nicely last weekend. I needed a few more putts to drop but I gave Alvaro a good run for his money," he added.

"I am happy with that and I'm playing quite nicely so I am a bit more confident going into this week."

Even though defending champion Tiger Woods is unable to seek a third Classic title this week as the world number one continues to recover from knee surgery, Stenson is up against world number two Sergio Garcia, European number one Robert Karlsson and the equally consistent Lee Westwood.

Ernie Els is another who certainly knows his way around in Dubai, the South African boasting a phenomenal record of top-three finishes over the last seven years, which includes two wins following his maiden triumph in 1994.

In 11 appearances, he has never finished lower than eighth and his opening-round 11-under-par 61, which kicked off his wire-to-wire victory in 1994, remains the course record.

He missed out on a fourth win last year after being outdone by a majestic Woods over the final round.

Els he opted to take on the final green in a bid to post a championship-winning eagle but found the water when a closing birdie would have earned a play-off.

"I feel comfortable here. I feel comfortable with the people involved with the tournament, the crowd and especially the golf course. I've got good lines that I follow off the tees," said the 39-year-old.

"It's been very similar every year. We've had some different weather conditions through the years, when the winds kicks up it can become tricky.

"This year it's very lush, high rough so you've got to keep the ball in play and be less aggressive off the tees."


COLIN MONTGOMERIE FACTFILE
Study: Late ex-NFL player had brain condition
Chargers ink LA marketing deal but not moving
MONTGOMERIE NAMED RYDER CUP CAPTAIN