Tuesday, January 20, 2009

CHAMPION FACES TOUGH FIELD

CHAMPION FACES TOUGH FIELD


Northern Ireland's Graeme McDowell will have to finish ahead of Ernie Els and Lee Westwood if he is to successfully defend his Ballantine's Championship title in South Korea in April.

McDowell won the inaugural event last March in a memorable year which included his fourth European Tour title at the Barclays Scottish Open and his Ryder Cup debut in Valhalla.

The 29-year-old from Portrush returns to Pinx Golf Club on Jeju Island determined to triumph again.

"I'll be doing my very best to mount a successful title defence," he said.

"Winning the 2008 Ballantine's Championship was an unforgettable moment in my career and also the start of a brilliant year for me.

"I have some wonderful memories of my week at Pinx Golf Club and I'm thrilled to be returning as defending champion."

Sweden's Henrik Stenson and Fred Couples of the United States are also set to play in the co-sanctioned European Tour, Asian Tour and Korea PGA event, which takes place from April 23-26.


LOFTY WOOD AIMING HIGH
HARRINGTON WINS SHOT OF THE YEAR
For Florida, Harvin, not Spikes, will enter draft
Hearing delayed for accused in Williams’ death