Thursday, January 8, 2009

LOFTY WOOD AIMING HIGH

LOFTY WOOD AIMING HIGH


Chris Wood has set his sights on finishing in the top 60 on the Order of Merit standings this season ahead of the Joburg Open this week.

The Englishman, who only turned pro after finishing fifth at The Open Championship last year, has made a storming start to his first full season on the Tour.

He finished tied 16th and sixth in his opening two events, both in South Africa - the Alfred Dunhill Championship and SA Open - and admits that with a little more work on his game he can improve even more.

"I've started out pretty well," he said ahead of the R2.25 million (Ј155,000) event.

"I've felt like I've just played my normal game really and there's so much more work I can do with my swing and my putting especially.

"I think I'm top of greens in regulation at the moment and if I can keep hitting the ball the way I am and get the putter going a bit, I'm going to start competing more. So that's what I'm looking to work on."

The main target for Wood this year, though, is qualifying for the season-ending Dubai World Championship, the climax of the inaugural Race to Dubai, which has been renamed from the European Tour. The top 60 players will be given the honour of playing for the US 10-million prize.

"The top 60 in the Order of Merit is by far achievable, definitely, and to get into that will be a pretty good first season," Wood added.

"I haven't really thought about world ranking. I mean, the better you play, it takes care of itself. So I'm really just trying to concentrate on the European Tour and get into the top 60 of the Order of Merit."

Asked if he knows the reason for his impressive early form, Wood replied: "Coming out into some nice weather like here definitely cheers you up a little.

"The courses have been really good and they have been really good tournaments.

"Also, it's early on in the year, so you're really fresh and keen to get going quickly."

Along with Northern Ireland's Darren Clarke and Anders Hansen of Denmark, the only two Europeans in the top 100, Wood is one of the more higher-profiled players from that continent teeing-off at Royal Johannesburg and Kensington Golf Club on Thursday.

The other contenders from the 206-player field are all South African, including defending champion Richard Sterne, who has won back-to-back titles, and two-time US Open champion Retief Goosen.


OU’s Stoops says he’s not up for Broncos’ job
WATCH WOOD AND WILLETT GO