Wednesday, January 28, 2009

POULTER TARGETS MAJOR PRIZE

POULTER TARGETS MAJOR PRIZE


Ian Poulter is determined to build on his runner-up finish at last year's Open Championship and break his major duck in 2009.

The Englishman was second only to an inspired Padraig Harrington at Royal Birkdale last July and at one stage during the final-round looked capable of securing a first major crown.

A memorable back-nine from Harrington ensured it was the Dubliner who emerged victorious, but Poulter has taken great heart from that performance.

With a stellar individual showing during Europe's Ryder Cup defeat at Valhalla also to his credit, the 33-year-old is convinced he is now ready to join the game's elite and feels 2009 could be the year he makes a major breakthrough.

"I always set my targets pretty high, I do want to achieve well in the big tournaments and playing well in the Open last year was very pleasing," he told Sky Sports .

"I want to go a step better by putting on a green jacket or winning the Open - just trying to be in contention to win one of those tournaments.

"I felt the buzz this year at the Open and I'd like to be able to feel that more.

"(A major win) would be a special moment for sure. (I've dreamt about it) many times - lots of thoughts, certainly after the Open this year.

"Mindsets of how to be able to go that one step closer. I feel that would take me to the next level for sure.

"I feel confident about my game, I feel confident about my ability on the golf course - I just would like to see myself in contention in the majors this year and have a chance to slip a green jacket on or pick up a Claret Jug. It would a dream and something we're working towards."


COLIN MONTGOMERIE FACTFILE
MONTGOMERIE NAMED RYDER CUP CAPTAIN
Study: Late ex-NFL player had brain condition