Wednesday, February 18, 2009

SHARK NOT OUT TO MAKE UP THE NUMBERS

SHARK NOT OUT TO MAKE UP THE NUMBERS


He may have turned 54 just eight days ago but the competitive fires still continue to burn strongly for Greg Norman.

Age and the business interests of the Great White Shark may have greatly curtailed his playing schedule over the last few years, but the winner of more than 80 international titles still has the ability to take on the world's best - as he proved so emphatically at Royal Birkdale last year.

Norman may ultimately not have won the Open Championship for a third time but his third place finish sent out a clear message that age is not a barrier to success in the sport.

"I would say that the events last year really made a lot of people sit up, especially the people over 50 years old," said the former world number one.

"I've probably got more recognition and accolades from people just saying thank you for doing something for the 50-year-olds.

"It really rejuvenates a lot of people.

"It also shows to the younger generation that if you're 22 or 23, never give up on your dreams. You can still give yourself opportunities if you stay strong in yourself and if you want to believe in yourself."

Norman is at the Vines Resort and Country Club in Perth this week to play in the Johnnie Walker Classic.

It is first tournament in Australia since 2006 but the veteran is by no means taking his homecoming lightly.

"I think the guys who have been around long enough know me well enough today that if I come and playgolf tournament, I'm not just going to come and play. I'm going to try to give it my best shot," he added.

"Sometimes you miss the cut and sometimes you do very well, but it's okay as long as you know you're giving it 100%, which I'll do this week."

While Norman is preparing to play at The Masters in April, he insists his focus this week is squarely on the Johnnie Walker Classic.

"I always stay focused in what's happening right now. If I start thinking about what's going to happen in five weeks from now or six weeks, then I'm not preparing myself," he added.

"You have to know that at the time you were doing the best you could under the circumstances to give yourself a chance of winning.

"When it's over and done with, you look back on it and you can reflect and say, 'Geez, I'm sad I didn't win that golf tournament', whether it's the British Open or another golf tournament.

"Last year's British Open was no different. There were opportunities there that I really needed to capitalise on and I didn't for whatever reason.

"It was a good performance and on a scale of one to 10, I give it 8.5. I came away from the golf course satisfied but at the same time disappointed that I didn't win the golf tournament."


Panthers owner Richardson has heart transplant
BABY BOY FOR WOODS