Sunday, September 28, 2008

KIM DENIES POULTER BARGE

KIM DENIES POULTER BARGE


American Anthony Kim has denied deliberately barging into European Ian Poulter at last week's Ryder Cup.

Poulter was unhappy after believing he had been "body-checked" as he was walking off the 14th tee in Valhalla last Saturday afternoon.

But Kim has offered his version of the event and maintained the collision was a complete accident.

"I was going to congratulate Kenny (Perry)," Kim said.

"Kenny had hit a shot and I was going over there. I wasn't even paying attention and I look up and Ian had just bounced off me.

"I didn't even see him, to be honest. I'm a lot shorter than he is, so I'm not going to throw my elbow into him.

"I wasn't out there to bump anybody. That's not the spirit of the Ryder Cup. This isn't football. I'm sorry he took it personally."

Kim was speaking after shooting a second round 69 at the Tour Championship at East Lake.

He could not repeat the heroics of his opening 64, but a seven-under-par 133 halfway total was enough for a two-stroke lead over Sergio Garcia.

Spaniard Garcia's 65 was the day's best round and quite a comeback after a horrible start to his first round, when he was four over after six holes.

His spirited revival lifted him into position to perhaps gain a little revenge after losing to Kim in the opening singles match last Sunday.

Garcia, of course, downplayed that prospect, but there is little doubt a victory here would be particularly sweet, even if it would not quite make up for losing the Ryder Cup.

"It's a totally different event," said Garcia. "Tomorrow is an important day to give yourself a chance on Sunday. You're not going to win the tournament tomorrow unless you shoot 52."

Not that it is a two-man race, with Phil Mickelson only three shots behind after catching fire on the back nine, gathering five birdies in the final seven holes.

Mickelson has said several times this year that he is thinking of joining the European Tour next year, but he maintained Friday he had not made a final decision.

"I'm not sure on my status yet as far as becoming a European Tour member, but I'm certainly considering it," he said.


GALLACHER QUESTIONS POULTER PICK
Bucs’ Brooks, Garcia questionable against Falcons