Saturday, April 5, 2008

Singh back for second shot at Masters Golf

ATLANTA (US): India's Jeev Milkha Singh will return to the Masters Tournament next week with every intention of challenging for glory at Augusta National Golf Club.

The 2006 Asian Tour number one, the first Indian to feature in the Masters last year, admitted he was surprised to earn an invitation back but the Indian star intends to repay the faith placed on him with a strong showing. "It was a pleasant surprised. I never thought I would be invited back. I got a call on a Friday evening in Abu Dhabi in January while I was in bed with the flu," he recalled. "I couldn't have asked for a better invite in my life, I'll always cherish this."

His Masters debut came courtesy of a remarkable season in 2006 which saw him win four times around the globe and end the year in 37th place on the Official World Golf Ranking. Singh led the Masters briefly during the first round after making the turn in three under before finishing tied for 10th at the completion of the day.

At the halfway stage, he was joint 15th and by then, many Americans were asking questions which included if he was related to a more famous Singh - Vijay Singh - who is an honorary member of the Asian Tour. Further rounds of 78 and 79 on a tough and chilly weekend saw Singh wrap up his debut in equal 37th position, which in reflection was how his season eventually unfolded.

The son of an Olympic runner, Singh, who grew up in Chandigargh, will alter his game plan for next week's Masters assault but says he loves the layout at Augusta National. "I know the golf course now and it does suit my game. But you have to stay patient especially on the greens. I will have to follow my process and routine and see what comes my way. "I'm going to play it differently this time. I'm going to hit more drivers and I have decided which holes I'm going to hit with a driver and I'm looking forward to that," he said.