Wednesday, April 30, 2008

CLARKE OUTLINES RYDER HOPES

CLARKE OUTLINES RYDER HOPES

Darren Clarke admits he is desperate to make the European Ryder Cup team this year after securing a long-awaited victory at the BMW Asian Open.

The 39-year-old edged Robert-Jan Derksen by a single stroke in a thrilling final-day encounter in Shanghai in which Clarke holed a birdie putt on the last to secure the win.

His last win on the European Tour was five years ago at the WGC-NEC Invitational and, following the death of his wife Heather in 2006, he has been working hard to challenge for titles once again.

After an understandably difficult season in 2007, Clarke has been coming closer to a win and finally saw his hard work pay off with victory in China.

The Ulsterman was part of the victorious 2006 Ryder Cup team, and although he acknowledged there is some way to go before he can count on a recall, he admitted he would love the chance to figure again.

"If I qualify for the Ryder Cup team that would be fantastic," said Clarke. "That is back as a realistic goal now.

"I have given myself a bit of a boost but there is still a long way to qualify for the team.

"There is nothing that helps your confidence like wining, whatever way you do it, and it feels good.

"My focus is to keep playing as good a golf as I can and I do desperately want to be at Valhalla, but we will see."

Clarke's victory in China has been the result of years of hard work with the three-time English Open winner often putting in nine hours of practice a day in a bid to improve his game.

Having endured such a difficult season in 2007, Clarke admitted he had on occasions lost his love for the game, but after tasting victory once again he is hungry for more success.

"My win has given me renewed vigour to carry on and keep working because I want more of this," he added.

"It has been difficult for me this year to watch on television the CA Championship where I have won and especially Augusta (The Masters). I am not used to sitting out and watching these events.

"The reason I practise and play is so I can compete at the top level and I want to be back in the top 50 again."


CLARKE SPURRED ON BY BAD PRESS