Thursday, June 26, 2008

WESTWOOD PLAYS DOWN PRESSURE

WESTWOOD PLAYS DOWN PRESSURE

Lee Westwood is determined not to pile pressure on himself as he begins his countdown to The Open this week.

Beaten by a single shot in the US Open two weeks ago, a lot will now be expected of the former European number one at Royal Birkdale - especially with Tiger Woods out of the way.

But on the eve of the French Open at Le Golf National near Paris Westwood said: "I went to the US Open without any expectations and I think that's the way I need to approach them.

"I had hardly hit any balls going into it and I wasn't feeling great.

"I came very close and didn't feel that I lost it - I think Tiger and Rocco (Mediate) played very well to finish one ahead of me."

One behind the world number one entering the final day, Westwood turned that into a one-stroke lead with nine holes left.

But the pair both came to the last needing a birdie to tie and Woods was the one to get it.

The 35-year-old from Worksop was able to reflect, though, on his best-ever finish in a major, a week where his re-emergence as a player of world class was there for all to see - and being paired with Woods did not seem to affect him as much as it has others.

"I think that's because I have been in that situation before," he added. "I have played with Tiger so many times in Ryder Cups and majors and World Golf Championships, so I know what to expect.

"It's not so much playing with Tiger, it's everything that goes on around. The amount of people outside the ropes and everyone moving around it, it can be tough, but you do get used to it."

Before he left San Diego Westwood stated: "I think I've proved to myself and a few others that there is a major championship in me," but on that he now reflects: "I think until you win one there is going to be doubt.

"My all-round game from tee to green pleased me most. I actually didn't have a great putting week, but if I can get that right then I'll have an even better chance."

Westwood will miss next week's European Open at The London Club in Kent, but will be at the Scottish Open at Loch Lomond before turning his full attention to Birkdale.

"I'm still learning. It all depends on the different majors - I've played well in them playing for the three weeks leading up to them and I have played well in them having not hit a ball for a fortnight.

"You have to get into the right frame of mind or zone I suppose."

Two more of England's top players, Luke Donald and Ian Poulter, had a very different time at Torrey Pines.

Both pulled out with wrist injuries, but while Donald has now missed his next two events as well Poulter is back in action this week.

The first thing he did when he arrived on the practice range before today's pro-am, though, was to strap his right wrist.

"I had 10 days of rest and ultra-sound treatment and it's fine for now," he said. "I hit about 30 balls on Sunday, then played 18 holes on Monday at Stoke Park and shot two under, which was nice.

"I'm not sure about my schedule coming up. I'm going to play The Open, put it that way - I don't know about the rest."

Robert Karlsson, eighth in The Masters and fourth in the US Open, has made a late decision to play this week.

"I've had a sore throat and stuff and decided only yesterday," commented the Swede. "It's not been the best preparation - Sunday was the first time I touched the clubs since leaving America."

With a massive first prize of almost Ј528,000 the event will also be a battle for top spot on the Order of Merit with current top four - Miguel Angel Jimenez, Karlsson, Westwood and Oliver Wilson - in the field and sixth-placed Martin Kaymer, winner of the BMW title in Munich on Sunday, able to leap-frog over all of them by triumphing again.

There are also two places in The Open up for grabs off a mini-money list which has been running for a month.

Australian Scott Strange, winner of the Wales Open, and Chile's Felipe Aguilar, runner-up in the Irish Open, are in position to take them, but Ryder Cup pair Darren Clarke and Paul McGinley could avoid next Monday's 36-hole qualifier at Sunningdale with a top three finish on Sunday.


SMALL ADVANCE FOR WESTWOOD
Adebayor plays down exit talk
BRITISH PAIR READY FOR WOODS
“Couldn’t deal with the pressure”