Monday, June 16, 2008

KENNEGARD'S GOT SOLE

KENNEGARD'S GOT SOLE

Jesper Kennegard showed the Amateur championship field a clean pair of heels at Turnberry despite playing the closing six holes of his first qualifying round over the Kintyre course with no shoes on.

The 19-year-old from Stockholm played through the agony of severe blisters on his feet and posted a battling six-under 66 as he limped to the head of the standings.

Kennegard was three-under for the day through 12 holes when the pain became too excruciating. The Swedish cap removed his shoes for the remainder of the round but still managed to carve out another birdie and an eagle-three at the 17th to boost his total.

"I've never been in so much pain on a golf course," winced Kennegard.

"My shoes had given me blisters on my heels. I could hardly walk and I felt like crawling in. By the time I got to the 12th my feet were that sore that I had no option but to take my shoes off and play the rest of my round in my socks."

Scottish number one Callum Macaulay, a beaten semi-finalist in last year's championship at Royal Lytham, highlighted his four-under 68 by holing his second shot from 60 yards with a lob wedge for an eagle-two.

He was joined on the four-under mark by English youngster Sam Hutsby, runner-up in the Welsh Open Strokeplay championship last month. Australian Tim Stewart, last season's runner-up, posted a 73 while defending champion Drew Weaver of the US had to settle for a 75.

On the neighbouring Ailsa course, the host venue to next year's Open championship, Essex teenager Dale Whitnell, the winner of the Lagonda Trophy a fortnight ago, emerged with a neatly-crafted three-under 67 which was illuminated by a 30-foot putt for a birdie three at the ninth. English veteran Gary Wolstenholme, the two-times Amateur champion who has just returned from San Diego where he was competing in the US Open, struggled to a 77.


WOODS AND MEDIATE FACE PLAY-OFF
IMADA CLAIMS CLASSIC GLORY
Chiefs’ franchise player Allen to visit Bucs, Vikes
Del Piero ready to lead