Sunday, June 22, 2008

CIGANDA IN LEAD AT HALFWAY

CIGANDA IN LEAD AT HALFWAY

Spanish teenage amateur Carlota Ciganda leads the Tenerife Ladies Open by one shot at the half-way stage after a second round six-under-par 66 at Golf Costa Adeje.

The 18-year-old from Pamplona finished the day on nine under, one ahead of Finland's Ursula Wikstrom, who had a four-under 68 and Russian Maria Verchenova, who had a three-under 69.

Ciganda, who was the 2007 British Ladies Amateur Champion, is hoping to become the fifth amateur tournament winner in the 30-year history of the Ladies European Tour this week.

"I hit it very long and today I hit very straight so it was very helpful for me," said Ciganda.

"If you play a good driver you have an approach from 80 to 100 metres so it's easier to make birdies."

Ciganda recorded just one bogey, at the par-four ninth-hole on her front nine, and posted an outward total of 37. However she ripped up the back nine with seven birdies, including five in a row from the 11th, for an inward total of 29.

"Once I started I couldn't stop. I played really well, very good shots," she said. "My putts were incredible. I made seven birdies and two pars on the back nine. I'm very happy."


“The most conservative system in Europe”
CAUDAL LEADS THE WAY