Saturday, May 30, 2009

LOWRY TURNS PROFESSIONAL

LOWRY TURNS PROFESSIONAL


Shane Lowry, the 22-year-old amateur who stunned the golf world on Sunday by winning the Irish Open, is an amateur no more.

Despite Padraig Harrington making out a case for him waiting until after September's Walker Cup in America, Lowry felt unable to resist the temptation to turn professional.

He will launch his new career in the European Open at The London Club in Kent next week - and this time gunning for the Ј300,000 first prize as well as the glory.

At County Louth Lowry beat England's Robert Rock at the third play-off hole, but Rock took the winner's cheque of nearly Ј440,000 because the plus five handicapper was barred from accepting it.

"There is a tinge of sadness for me leaving my amateur career behind as I have thoroughly enjoyed being part of the Irish National team and GUI (Golfing Union of Ireland) set-up," said only the third amateur to win a European Tour event - and the first to do it on his debut.

"I am lucky to have had so many great times growing up playing amateur golf in Ireland. Irish golf, both amateur and professional, is in undeniably good health at the moment and the GUI should be commended and congratulated for the role it has played in this.

"These are exciting times for Irish golf and I am proud to be a part of this great success story."

He dedicated his victory to the GUI and in reflecting on it commented: "If I'm being honest I genuinely did feel that I had the game to have a good week and gain some good experience to build on, with a view to turning professional later in the summer.

"However, to go and win the tournament and leave Baltray on Sunday evening with the Irish Open trophy and the option of a two-year exemption on the European Tour was certainly beyond my expectations

"Obviously winning has forced me to re-assess my career goals in the short term and I have had a lot to think about this week.

"I have spent the past few days discussing the options open to me with my family, close friends and coach Neil Manchip.

"My goal had been to qualify for the Walker Cup team in September and turn professional after that.

"However, I have now decided to turn professional immediately as I feel that this will give me the greatest chance of becoming the best player I can be in the future.

"My Irish Open win has provided me with a unique opportunity to ease myself into the professional game by playing in some of the biggest tournaments in Europe over the coming months with a view to preparing myself for the 2010 European Tour season.

"I can now go out on Tour under no pressure and just concentrate on playing golf and enjoying the whole experience.

I am really looking forward to just getting out there and playing now."

Rory McIlroy, a partner in their amateur days, backed his move, but Harrington had said: "He has plenty of time left to play professional golf, only a limited time to play amateur.

"Looking back on my career, I have won three majors and I still rate playing three Walker Cups very highly on my achievements. I still look back on that as a mainstay of my career.

"If he believes he is good enough, and winning the Irish Open says he is, then he has to believe in himself - and turning pro is not believing in yourself.

"Staying and playing the Walker Cup and trusting that your game will be as good from September onwards is believing in yourself.

"He'll only get one opportunity to play in the Walker Cup - that would be my attitude to it."

Lowry added: "While I have had a lot to take on board since Sunday, I am confident that I am making the right decision for my career.

"I like to think of this opportunity as career changing as opposed to life changing.

"I am fully aware of the fact that playing against some of the greatest players in the world as a professional on a weekly basis will be new territory for me and it will be a difficult challenge, however, I am confident that it is something I am ready for.

"Furthermore, I feel that I have the right team around me to guide me through this important stage of my career".

He is becoming a stable mate of Ryder Cup star Graeme McDowell and England's Ross Fisher - next week's defending champion - at Dublin-based Horizon.

Lowry is receiving a 20,000 euros development grant from the Irish Sports Council through the Team Ireland Golf Trust.

Chief executive John Treacy said: "The Council supported Shane as an amateur through the high performance programme of the GUI and we are delighted to support him on the next stage of his career as a professional golfer."


Oakland Raiders reach agreement with receiver Samie Parker
McILROY KEEPS EXPECTATIONS LOW
Cincinnati Bengals release oft-injured left tackle Levi Jones