Monday, May 18, 2009

CHRISTY O'CONNOR IN HALL OF FAME

CHRISTY OCONNOR IN HALL OF FAME


Christy O'Connor, 84 last December, has become just the second Irishman to be elected to the World Golf Hall of Fame.

Known throughout his career as 'Himself', O'Connor follows the late great amateur Joe Carr and will be inducted at a ceremony in Florida in November.

"This is a fantastic honour, not only for myself and my family, but for the whole of Ireland and, in particular, all my friends in professional golf who helped me enjoy a wonderful career in the game," he said.

"I never expected to be nominated, never mind elected.

"This news comes in the same week that I celebrate 50 years as a professional at Royal Dublin. I would have to say it is one of the great weeks in my life."

O'Connor won 24 European Tour events and played in 10 Ryder Cups, but never competed in The Masters.

"I couldn't afford to," he commented.

His nephew Christy Junior followed him into the Ryder Cup and played one of the greatest shots in the history of the event to beat Fred Couples as Europe retained the trophy at The Belfry in 1989.


RYDER CUP TICKET BALLOT OPENS
Source: Pittsburgh Steelers, James Harrison agree to $51M deal