Sunday, May 24, 2009

HARRINGTON HAPPY WITH TURNBERRY

HARRINGTON HAPPY WITH TURNBERRY


Padraig Harrington has taken his first look at the Turnberry course on which he will be try to become the first player since Peter Thomson in 1956 to win three successive Opens.

"It's a super course - it's lived up to expectations," said the Dubliner.

"There are not a huge amount of opportunities out there, but a lot of steady holes with difficult par threes.

"I have learned what the set-up will be like and what shots need to be practised and played, although the course will change over the next two months.

"From watching it on TV and hearing what other people have had to say, I knew it was a great course and I really like what I see."

Harrington insists he is not feeling any extra pressure as he prepares to launch his hat-trick-bid at the Scottish course in July.

"I am well aware that Peter Thomson was the last man to do it, but I feel I'll be in with a great chance because I have control over my own preparation and, if I get that right, then I can be in contention," he said.

"I want to win more majors, but I'm not going to put any more pressure on myself to make it three in a row.

"I'm going to take it like any other major - winning them individually is big enough, but if they happen to come three years in a row well that's very special."


HARRINGTON STEELED FOR TOUGHER TIMES
NFL draft: Defensive tackle B.J. Raji denies reports of failed drug test
HARRINGTON ‘HONOURED’ BY AWARD