Thursday, February 5, 2009

TIGER TAG DOESN'T FAZE McILROY

TIGER TAG DOESNT FAZE McILROY


Teenage golfing sensation Rory McIlroy has admitted he relishes being hailed as the next Tiger Woods.

The 19-year-old, who returned to Northern Ireland after landing his maiden European tour victory in Dubai, said the comparisons with the American superstar do not faze him.

"It's better people are asking those questions than not asking them," he said.

"As long as people keep saying those things it obviously means I'm doing something right."

McIlroy was back in the familiar surrounds of his hometown club in Holywood, Co Down, as he reflected on his breakthrough win in the desert and his meteoric rise to fame.

Already a millionaire, he scored another 300,000-plus euro cheque for his win in Dubai.

"I haven't splashed out on anything," he said.

"When I first turned pro I bought a house and car but that's pretty much been it - now I just let it (the money) sit there.

"I don't think about it (wealth) really. When I first turned pro it was a bit of a shock. My second ever pay cheque was 220,000 euro and I was like 'Woo'. But now I don't think about it."

"My mum and dad made a lot of sacrifices for me when I was young, when I went to America to play junior tournaments," he said.

"So it was great for them to be there with me in Dubai when I won it.

"Travelling round the world on your own makes you grow up very fast.

"I probably haven't had a normal teenage life but, saying that, a lot of teenagers probably would like to be in my position, so I'm not complaining."

General manager Paul Gray has known McIlroy since he first joined the club.

"Even when he was as young as seven you could tell he was something special," he said.

"His technique and style - even then he looked like a pro."


McILROY ADDS NAME TO HISTORY BOOKS
Fired coach Gruden ready for next opportunity