Tuesday, February 10, 2009

DAVIES HOPES FOR CHANGE IN FORTUNES

DAVIES HOPES FOR CHANGE IN FORTUNES


Laura Davies is delighted by the prospect of being awarded life membership of the Australian Tour for her support for the game in Australia - although she has had little else to smile about Down Under in recent weeks.

The 45-year-old has finished back in the pack in the New South Wales Open, the New Zealand Open and last week's Australian Ladies Masters, and is desperate to rise to the occasion in the Women's Australian Open at Metropolitan Golf Club in Melbourne this week.

"I came down here to try and win four tournaments, but so far I've won none out of three and (I'm) struggling, to be honest," said Davies.

"I haven't really had a crack at any of them.

"This is my last chance and I've got to step up to the plate this week or else I'll consider it a disappointing trip."

Davies, a three-time winner in 2008 in Austria, Morocco and at the New South Wales Open believes her form towards the end of last season was as good as ever.

But coming off the month's break leading into Christmas and the New Year her touch has proved difficult to recapture.

"It's just not there at the moment - I'm not holing putts," Davies said.

"Last week I was finished before I started - the seven-over on the first day left me completely out of it.

"The ball striking is nearly there ... but since the start of the year every single round seems to have been in a howling gale and it's been hard to get your tempo."

Davies will welcome the forecast of southerly breezes and unseasonably cool conditions in Melbourne this week.

The four-time major winner and holder of 70 career titles worldwide practised at Metropolitan Golf Club today but not on the course.

Wednesday's pro-am will provide her only first-hand look at the highly-acclaimed par-73 layout that's hosting a leading women's tour event for the first time.


BABY BOY FOR WOODS
Ex-Falcons RB Anderson held on drug charges
McILROY ALREADY EYEING CUP PLACE
Panthers owner Richardson has heart transplant