Sunday, February 1, 2009

OOSTHUIZEN FIRES ACE

OOSTHUIZEN FIRES ACE


In-form South African Louis Oosthuizen fired a hole-in-one on Saturday during the second round of the delayed Dubai Desert Classic.

Oosthuizen has finished runner-up at the last two events in Abu Dhabi and Qatar and continued his bid for a maiden European Tour title after a second round seven-under-par 65 today left the 26-year-old just a shot adrift of halfway leader Rory McIlroy.

After reaching the turn in level par Oosthuizen picked up five shots in a four holes, helped out by the 168-yard six-iron strike at the par three 11th.

"I saw it all the way. It came running towards the pin and next thing you know, my playing partners turned around and gave me a high-five so I guessed it was in," he said.

"It was a great club at the middle of the flag and it dropped in, it was a nice feeling.

"It's my first one in tournament golf. I liked it from the start and it dropped a metre from the hole and rolled in so it was good.

"I had one when I was 13. I think it was the same distance but the only difference was it was a three-iron. It was a nice shot and I'll never forget that. That was back in South Africa and I won't forget this one either."

Oosthuizen's stroke average for his last 14 round stands at 67.5, which is four lower than his career average.

"All the work I've put in with my coach is starting to come through," he added.

"I'm having a lot more fun on the golf course and that just helps a lot by not putting two much pressure on myself and just enjoying it."

Oosthuizen is a five-time winner in his native South Africa but has yet to win on the European Tour.


PAST WINNERS COME GOOD
Bruce Smith among 6 inducted into Pro HOF
Fired coach Gruden ready for next opportunity