Monday, November 24, 2008

MONTY TO KEEP MAJOR HOPES ALIVE

MONTY TO KEEP MAJOR HOPES ALIVE


Colin Montgomerie admits he is keen to continue playing for at least another seven years to keep alive his hopes of winning a Major.

The 45-year-old has come close on a number of occasions to breaking his Major duck but success has proved elusive.

Form is currently not on Montgomerie's side with the Scot having failed to finish inside the top 20 in his last 10 tournaments and he has dropped to 118th in the world rankings.

He is looking to improve that position this season and break back into the top 50. This weekend he is looking to win a tournament for the first time since July 2007 at the UBS Hong Kong Open.

"I'm outside the top 100 in the world for the first time ever," he said. "I've got to get back inside that top 100 in a hurry and then back inside the top 50 to compete on the world stage again.

"I'm exempt through to 2015 on this tour, and I would intend to be playing golf until that stage.

"If I can get back in that top 50 and remain there for the next six years, I'll be very happy."

Montgomerie won the UBS Hong Kong Open in 2005 and the eight-time Order of Merit winner says it is a tournament he enjoys.

"I like the golf course," he said. "I'm not the longest hitter on tour and, while I never was, I have control, and this is a course where you need control more than you need length or power. I prefer this type of golf nowadays.

"I like the Hong Kong Golf Club and I love the city. My wife is here with me and we're having a great time."


SABBATINI SET FOR HONG KONG
Source: Raiders QB Russell likely out vs. Panthers