Tuesday, November 25, 2008

HONG KONG FINALE LIFTS DALY

HONG KONG FINALE LIFTS DALY


John Daly is feeling positive about the future after shooting a stunning 62 on Sunday.

John Daly is feeling positive about the future after shooting a stunning 62 - one shot off the course record - at the Hong Kong Open on Sunday.

The two-time Major winner has been in the headlines for all the wrong reasons recently.

He spent a night in a detention centre in the city of Winston-Salem in North Carolina last month after being found drunk and disorderly outside a Hooters restaurant.

Daly has struggled with alcoholism, health problems and also gambling during his career, and his world ranking recently slipped as low as 788th.

But the 42-year-old looked back to his sparkling best at the weekend as he shot eight birdies and no bogeys in the final round at the Hong Kong Golf Club to finish in joint 17th place with a nine-under 271 for the tournament.

Speaking to reporters afterwards, Daly said: "I think I've made more money than I did all of last year on the US Tour, in one tournament! So you can tell where I've come from.

"I've come from close to Ground Zero all the way back up. But who knows? I've just got to keep working at it. Being healthy helps."

When asked about his round of 62 on the par-70 course, he added: "It just makes you feel good to have a number like that. I don't know what place I was in going into today but I know it wasn't great.

"It feels really good and it feels like, yeah, maybe I still can play a little bit."

Daly will be back in action in Melbourne this week at the Australian Masters.


Alleged victim in Philly shooting sues Harrison
Cowboys’ Witten (ribs) to be ‘game-time decision’
SABBATINI SET FOR HONG KONG