Saturday, November 15, 2008

McILROY FEELING POSITIVE

McILROY FEELING POSITIVE


Rory McIlroy had plenty to smile about after putting himself in contention for his first win as a professional at the Barclays Singapore Open with a three-under-par 68 at Sentosa Golf Club.

The Northern Irish teenager resumed his first round at the weather-interrupted Asian Tour event at one over after 14 holes but an eagle at the 18th helped him finish with a one-under 70.

Teeing off on the back nine, McIlroy then fired an eventful 68 in the second round that featured an eagle at the seventh, double-bogey on the par-three eighth and birdie at the ninth.

"I had an interesting finish in the afternoon," said McIlroy, who is on four under at the halfway mark, two shots adrift of clubhouse leaders Simon Dyson and Ernie Els.

"Obviously to make eagle on seven was huge and we had a bit of a wait on the next tee box and I just made a really poor swing and short-sided myself and left myself in a very difficult position and made double.

"But I bounced back on the last with a birdie, which was great. That gave me a positive attitude going out into the weekend."

The former European amateur champion has been touted as one of the game's top prospects but expressed his delight at just being part of the US 5 million event, which is the richest national open in Asia.

"It is a great opportunity for myself to get an invite to play in the Barclays Singapore Open," the Holywood native said.

"I am still trying to make my way as a professional so it is a chance to challenge myself against the best players in the world and so far I am doing pretty well.

"I want to get in the mix on Sunday and if I keep playing the way I am, I will be able to do that."

The 19-year-old felt that he benefited from playing alongside good friend and International Sports Management stablemate Dyson during the first two rounds.

"I am good friends with Simon and we had a lot of fun. We pulled each other along today and sort of bounced off each other, which was nice."


OLD TRAFFORD REWARD AWAITS McILROY
Cowboys’ Witten (ribs) to be ‘game-time decision’