Wednesday, April 15, 2009

PERRY NOT THINKING ABOUT HISTORY

PERRY NOT THINKING ABOUT HISTORY


Kenny Perry is trying not to think about the possibility of becoming the oldest winner in major golf history before he tackles the final round in The Masters at Augusta on Sunday.

The 48-year-old American is joint leader with Argentina's Angel Cabrera on 11 under par, two ahead of Perry's Ryder Cup teammate Chad Campbell.

After a third round 70 he said: "I don't want to look at winning - I've got to stay in the moment.

"This course is very difficult and very demanding. When I have thought in the future at other tournaments I've not had much success.

"I had a tough day today. I didn't have my A-game and was struggling. I was nervous and it's going to be a big day for me tomorrow - this might be my last opportunity.

"But I am going to enjoy it for sure. I'm trying for something that will move me up a notch."

Perry turned professional in 1982, but did not earn a US Tour card for another five years and did not taste victory for a further four.

"When I started out it was tough. My wife and I were scratching and clawing to try to make ends meet.

"I went and borrowed money, lost all of it and was pretty much down to my last penny."

In 1996, in his home state of Kentucky, he lost a play-off for the US PGA championship to Mark Brooks and that remains the closest he has ever come in a major.

He has never had a top 10 finish in eight Masters and did not even qualify the last two years.

"The Ryder Cup last year taught me a lot," he added. "I set a goal and made it, so I am more of a goal-setter now. My physical skills are not as good as they were, but I am a lot better thinker and I am a lot more confident."


CABRERA HOLDS NERVE TO EDGE PERRY
PERRY WON’T DWELL ON MASTERS FAILURE
Cincinnati Bengals reach deal with DT Tank Johnson
Bills wideout Roscoe Parrish being shopped in trade talks


CABRERA HOLDS NERVE TO EDGE PERRY
PERRY WON’T DWELL ON MASTERS FAILURE
Cincinnati Bengals reach deal with DT Tank Johnson
Bills wideout Roscoe Parrish being shopped in trade talks