Friday, April 17, 2009

MONTY SEARCHES FOR NEW RESPECT

MONTY SEARCHES FOR NEW RESPECT


Newly-appointed captain Colin Montgomerie feels he needs to start winning tournaments again if he is to inspire the European team to Ryder Cup glory in 2010.

Following the demoralising defeat at Valhalla last September, the 45-year-old was handed the task in January of wresting the famous trophy from American hands at Celtic Manor in 18 months' time.

Montgomerie, though, has not tasted victory for almost two years. The last trophy he lifted was the World Cup at Mission Hills in November 2007, when he and Marc Warren triumphed for Scotland, and his last individual success was in the European Open at the K-Club in July of the same year.

Indeed he has not recorded a top-10 finish since he was runner-up to Pablo Larrazabal at last June's French Open while his best effort this season to date is a tie for 13th at the Dubai Desert Classic at the beginning of February.

The Scot, who will be looking to end that drought when the Volvo China Open gets under way tomorrow, underlined it is vital he rediscovers some of the form that brought him a record eight Order of Merit titles if he is to lead the European team with conviction and authority in Wales.

"It's very important to show that I'm still competing," he said.

"I've always thought it was very important for players to have respect of their captain and I think if I start and keep winning through this tenure, this 18 months to go before the Ryder Cup is played, it will be important for me standing on that first tee - and them as well looking at me knowing they have a captain that is competing at the very top level.

"I think that's one of the reasons I was appointed as captain in the first place because of that fact and I would love to show them and prove to them that I am still capable of winning."

But even if Montgomerie manages to accomplish that goal, he reiterated it would not change his mind about competing at Celtic Manor.

"No, I will not be playing in the Ryder Cup even if I win most of the tournaments never mind one." he added.

"I was selected as Ryder Cup captain and not Ryder Cup player on this occasion. We are very fortunate in Europe to have a number of players vying for those positions of higher standard than I right now.

"We're very fortunate to have that quality, that wealth of talent with European-born players far outweighs anything I can do so I'll stay on the sidelines and try to help them round as best I can.

"We can put out two or three teams of similar quality and I think that's the first time we can truthfully say that."

Montgomerie will return to a happy hunting ground when he tees off at Beijing CBD International GC tomorrow having enjoyed plenty of success in Asia over the years.

And he believes his game is in good enough shape to contend over the next four days in the Chinese capital.

"It's actually not too bad. I just need to cut out the mistakes," he underlined.

"I didn't used to make mistakes and now I'm making too many mistakes. The birdies are still as many but there's far too many mistakes so what I'm trying to do now is cut them out and I'll be okay.

"I would obviously like to win again, my performances in Asia over the years have been pretty good really. I've had a couple of wins and a load of top-three finishes but winning is what it's all about and I would like to get back into the winner's circle.

"It's been about 18, 19 months and it's been too long. I'd like to get back into that winning circle and there's no time like the present so we'll see how we go."


Buffalo Bills’ Donte Whitner arrested as police stop ‘near riot’
PERRY NOT THINKING ABOUT HISTORY