Sunday, December 14, 2008

ANNIKA LEADS THE WAY

ANNIKA LEADS THE WAY


Annika Sorenstam has closed in on a fairytale farewell to the sport after moving clear at the top of the Dubai Ladies Masters leaderboard.

The Swede is set to quit golf after the tournament and she is on course to finish on a winning note after carding a flawless six-under par 66 round at the Majlis course of Emirates Golf Club.

However despite moving a shot clear, Sorenstam knows she still has a lot of work to do if she is to claim her 90th international title.

"I put in my whole energy in to give that extra push to today's round. I needed to clean up a few things after the first day.

"I am really happy to be where I am and with the round. I wanted to go bogey-free today, and I achieved it.

"But there are still 36 holes to go and it is going to be a long weekend. Hopefully, a good night's rest will put me in good shape physically for that."

Sorenstam holds a one-shot lead over Australian Nikki Garrett, with Russian Maria Verchenova, Italy's Veronica Zorzi and England's Johanna Head, the overnight leader, tied for third at six-under.

Veteran Laura Davies heads the chasing pack in sixth on five-under.


SHIN AHEAD AT HALF MOON BAY
SORENSTAM SET FOR FAREWELL
Ravens put McAlister, Landry on IR, ending year