Monday, October 20, 2008

RESCUED MARSHAL GRATEFUL TO ESCAPE

RESCUED MARSHAL GRATEFUL TO ESCAPE


Cries of 'Help" are not normally heard at a golf tournament, but they were on Friday when a 69-year-old marshal had to be rescued from a lake.

Play in the European Tour's Portugal Masters in Vilamoura was halted for a short time after Graham Finch, a former captain of the High Post club in Salisbury, slid into the water on the seventh hole.

"It was not funny at the time. I was frightened - it's no good saying I wasn't," said Finch.

"I was up to my neck and I can swim only a few yards, so I cried out.

"At first someone came with an umbrella to try to pull me back to dry land, but I couldn't reach it and every time I tried to put a foot down I went further in.

"But another marshal was brilliant then. He came in and pushed me so I could reach the rocks and clamber out.

"I'd been watching drives and had taken a few backward steps when suddenly I did the splits and went down into the lake. It was like going down a children's slide."

After being given a change of clothing and time to recover from what he called "my lucky escape", Finch, who spends part of each year in the Algarve and is also an ex-captain of Quinta do Lago, was back working - at the same spot.

When the incident happening Jean Van de Velde - famous, of course, for his water exploits in the 1999 Open at Carnoustie - was playing the hole.

The rescue act was performed by Portuguese marshal Miguel Palhoa.


MANLEY PREPARES FOR CRUCIAL WEEKEND
NFL reinstates suspended Pacman for Week 1